Natural Gas Safety Information
Carbon Monoxide SafetyKnow the symptoms.
To burn, natural gas must mix with the proper amount of air and be ignited by a flame or a spark. A properly burning natural gas flame will be a crisp blue color. If natural gas is burned without enough air, it may produce carbon monoxide — a poisonous gas.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can occur when coal, wood, propane, kerosene or natural gas isn't properly or completely burned. That can happen in different ways, such as when a heater, stove or furnace is malfunctioning or when a charcoal grill is used indoors without proper ventilation. It can even happen when your chimney hasn't been cleaned or is blocked by something.
A person exposed to carbon monoxide may initially complain of dizziness, headache, nausea, fatigue and other flu-like symptoms. Heavy or prolonged exposure can lead to loss of consciousness and even convulsions that can cause brain damage or death.
Protect yourself and your family by:
- Making sure all of the natural gas appliances in your home are properly installed and maintained.
- Checking to ensure your chimney flues, vent pipes and heat exchangers are not cracked, bent or closed. Inspect them every year.
- Not using a charcoal grill indoors unless it's designed for indoor use. (These have built-in exhaust systems that carry smoke and fumes out of the house.)
- Not letting your car run in a closed garage. Always open the garage door before you start the engine.
- NEVER use a kitchen range or oven to heat a room. This can produce dangerous carbon monoxide gas, as well as damage the range.
If your gas range burners don't light, check to see if the pilot lights are burning. If they are not, turn all the burners to "OFF". Open the doors and windows for ventilation. Do not attempt to re-light a gas range until you are sure there is no natural gas left inside the building. Apply a match to each pilot light (unless you have electronic ignition).
If a natural gas stove or furnace pilot light won't light, call your appliance or heating contractor. If you suspect a natural gas leak, DO NOT use a telephone or flashlight, switch a light on or off, light a match or create any other ignition source. Leaking natural gas can ignite, so you should immediately leave the house and go to a safe area where there is no indication of a natural gas leak. This may be a neighbor's house. Call us at 1-502-589-1444. A strong odor of natural gas is one indication of a natural gas leak.
Important Telephone Numbers to Remember
LG&E's Customer Service Department (M-F 7am-7pm):
(502) 589-1444 (Outside Louisville 800-331-7370)