Whether you’re in Louisville, Lexington, Maysville, Morganfield, Pineville or in between, residential, business and industrial customers across our LG&E and KU service territories have the opportunity to share in local solar energy and receive credits on their monthly bill.
Solar Share Calculator
Our Solar Share Calculator allows you to compare subscription levels, based on current electric rates.
What subscription level is right for you?
- Customers will be able to subscribe on a first-come basis to shares of solar in 250 watts, also referred to as quarter-kilowatt increments.
- You can choose one share or more than one, based on your preference.
- Each subscription includes an initial, non-refundable subscription fee of $40, as well as a monthly fee of $6.29, per share of solar.
- Each 250-watt share of solar is currently estimated to produce between 18 and 38 kilowatt-hours of energy per month, depending on factors like weather conditions and time of year. A typical residential household uses approximately 1,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity each month.
- We recommend reviewing your actual monthly electric usage to help decide what subscription level is best for you. Your monthly usage chart, found in your monthly electric bill or in your online account, will allow you to review your monthly electric usage over the last 13 months. If more energy is produced through a customer's subscription in a given month than the customer’s consumption, the excess energy will be used to help power our community.
About the program
Once constructed, our Solar Share Facility will generate energy, which then helps power our community. Customers participating in Solar Share will receive a credit on their monthly bill for the amount of solar energy produced based on their subscription.
Customers will also see on their monthly electric bill a monthly fee based on their subscription, and a Solar Fuel Adjustment Offset that corresponds to the amount of credits received through their subscription.
* The term, "shares," does not create or imply any ownership or investment interest.