Louisville Gas and Electric Company and Kentucky Utilities Company, part of the PPL Corporation (NYSE: PPL) family of companies, are regulated utilities that serve a total of 1.2 million customers and have consistently ranked among the best companies for customer service in the United States. LG&E serves 321,000 natural gas and 397,000 electric customers in Louisville and 16 surrounding counties. KU serves 543,000 customers in 77 Kentucky counties and five counties in Virginia.
- Continuous best-in-class customer satisfaction ratings of all Midwest-utilities
- Highly ranked among all U.S. utilities for efficiency through operational focus
- Leading utility in Kentucky — with a stable regulatory environment, steady demand growth, and reasonable returns on regulated assets
Regulated utility operations
Two utility businesses that are regulated in Kentucky by the Kentucky Public Services Commission.
- Louisville Gas and Electric Company, an electric and natural gas utility based in Louisville, serving customers in Louisville and 16 surrounding counties. LG&E serves 321,000 natural gas and 397,000 electric customers in an area that covers approximately 1,300 square miles and includes Louisville and 16 surrounding counties.
- Kentucky Utilities Company, an electric utility, based in Lexington, Ky., serving 77 Kentucky counties and five counties in Virginia. KU serves 543,000 electric customers in an area that covers approximately 4,800 non-contiguous square miles and includes 77 counties in Kentucky, five counties in southwest Virginia that are serviced by Old Dominion Power Company (“ODP”), the name under which KU operates in Virginia, and five customers in Tennessee.