Some tips to help you get maximum enjoyment from your fireplace
Settling down in front of a crackling fire is one of the treats of winter. But before enjoying your fireplace, take a few precautions to ensure you enjoy it safely:
- Hire a professional to inspect the fireplace every year before you use it the first time.
- Open the flue before starting a fire; close it when the fireplace is not in use.
- Keep fire embers from escaping with a glass door or mesh screen.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
- Never burn any type of trash or cardboard boxes in a fireplace.
- Do not leave a fire unattended.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.