From new libraries and tree planting initiatives to harvest festivals, we invest in projects and programs that enhance the world around us.
LG&E and KU employees serve on nearly 200 community boards throughout Kentucky, providing leadership to such organizations as Habitat for Humanity, the American Red Cross, Junior Achievement and March of Dimes to name a few.
Our employees are quick to roll up their sleeves and break a sweat for a good cause. They understand volunteerism benefits entire communities and is time well spent.
The total number of employee volunteer hours is too immense to calculate. But the benefits can be readily seen as they clean and repair social service facilities, parks and recreational areas; teach a Junior Achievement class; mentor at-risk youth; or winterize the homes of low-income residents.
Two annual events demonstrate the difference we’re making. In Louisville and Lexington, more than 50,000 disadvantaged children have started school on the right foot thanks to our employees. Each year, employees fill backpacks with school supplies and, working with local agencies, distribute them to disadvantaged schoolchildren. And through a Power of One initiative called “Day of Caring,” hundreds of employees spend personal time upgrading agencies or other nonprofits.
Employee giving campaign - Power of One
In addition to volunteering countless hours and giving their time and talent to support their local communities, employees and retirees generously contribute to our annual employee giving campaign, called the Power of One.
Since 2005, the companies' annual Power of One campaign has raised millions of dollars to support hundreds of nonprofit organizations throughout our service territories in Kentucky and Virginia, including the following:
- Cumberland Trails United Way
- Fund for the Arts
- Heart of Kentucky United Way
- Metro United Way Inc
- Ohio Valley United Charities
- Tri-County Kentucky United Way (Nelson)
- United Way of Central Kentucky
- United Way of Eastern Kentucky
- United Way of Greater Cincy - Northern Kentucky
- United Way of Henderson County
- United Way of Jefferson County, Indiana
- United Way of Laurel County
- United Way of Mason County
- United Way of Northeast Kentucky
- United Way of Perry County In
- United Way of South Central Kentucky
- United Way of Southeastern Kentucky
- United Way of Southern Kentucky
- United Way of Southwest Virginia
- United Way of Southwestern Indiana
- United Way of the Bluegrass
- United Way of the Coalfield
- United Way of the Ohio Valley
- United Way of the Pennyrile
- United Way of Western Kentucky
- WHAS Crusade for Children Inc
Employees and retirees don’t just give to the campaign, they fully embrace it. Donations to the Power of One help provide much-needed supplies following a natural disaster, help babies have access to incubators, change children’s lives by providing access to live theatre, and much more.