In 2008, we adopted a comprehensive Avian Protection Plan to protect birds from coming in contact with electrical equipment and power lines. Through cross-department collaboration, the company uses a comprehensive approach:
- Complying with laws that protect birds and nests;
- Using preventive bird-safe methods for newly constructed or rebuilt lines and other electrical equipment in areas with high bird risk;
- Tracking and documenting all bird mortalities and at-risk nest sites so that remedial actions can be identified and fixed;
- Undertaking risk assessments of existing lines and structures;
- Participating in bird protection programs and research; and
- Providing employee training on bird protection issues and procedures.