Staying safe around electricity and natural gas requires constant attention

Posted | July 5, 2019

Electricity and natural gas are powerful forces in our lives. It’s hard to imagine getting along without them. But to enjoy their benefits safely, it’s vital to respect their power.

Electricity

  • Use caution when handling appliances and electrical equipment – Never touch appliances, wires or electrical switches with wet hands; always unplug appliances before handling them; and never insert metal objects into an appliance, e.g., a knife into a toaster.
  • Check wires for signs of wear – If they are cracked or frayed, replace them. Never pull a plug out by the cord.
  • Put safety caps in unused electrical outlets – This is especially important if you have small children in your home.
  • Don’t overload outlets – Plugging too many appliances into a single outlet creates a possible fire hazard.
  • Don’t run extension cords under carpets or rugs – They could overheat and cause a fire.

Finally, NEVER touch a downed power line and ALWAYS assume it is energized. Call LG&E at 502-589-1444 (call 800-331-7370 outside Louisville) if you ever see a downed line.

Natural gas

Signs of a possible natural gas leak include:

  • A hissing or whistling sound outside.
  • An odor like sulfur or rotten eggs.
  • Blowing dust, bubbling water or discolored plants in the area near your pipeline.

If you suspect a leak:

  • Don’t touch any electrical switches – including light switches – or anything else that could cause a spark.
  • Don’t use your phone near your home. Get away from the house or the area immediately then call LG&E at 502-589-1444. (Call 800-331-7370 outside Louisville.) Also, call the police to report the situation.
  • Don’t start your car.