When it comes to finding everyday ways to save a little on energy use, look no further than washing and drying your clothes. Try these tips to improve energy efficiency when doing the laundry.
- Cold beats hot – Whenever possible use cold water to wash your clothes. Most of the energy used by washing machines comes from heating water.
- The more the better – Full loads are more efficient. Washers and dryers use the same amount of energy whether there are a lot of items or just a few.
- Keep it clean – Wipe any lint off the dryer filter after every use.
- Check the outdoor vent – If it doesn’t open and close easily, replace it to keep the outside air from getting into the dryer.
- Let Sol do it – Warm, sunny days are perfect for air-drying your clothes.
And, if you’re in the market for a new washer or dryer, it’s a good idea to buy one with the ENERGY STAR® certification.