Cooking is a serious source of energy use. Fortunately, there are several easy things you can do to save energy when preparing a meal.
- Use glass or ceramic dishes – They heat faster in the oven than metal pans.
- Use the right pan size – A pan that’s too small for the burner results in wasted heat.
- Cover it up – Lids help cook food quicker by keeping the steam in the pot or pan.
- Don’t peek – Every time you open the oven door or lift the lid off a pan, you lose heat.
- Thaw frozen foods in the refrigerator before cooking – It takes less energy to cook food once it’s already thawed.
And if you’re looking for an easy, energy-efficient way to cook up something delicious, consider an Instant Pot® electric cooker, which cooks faster than a slow cooker. Because it’s not on as long and has an insulated external pot, it uses less energy while cooking.
Check out this chili recipe:
Take the chill off – instantly
Recipe courtesy of delish.com
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 2 c. low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded cheddar, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Corn chips, for serving
- Thinly sliced green onions, for serving
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté function and add oil. Add onion and cook until soft (5 minutes). Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant (1 minute) and then add tomato paste, stirring to combine. Add ground beef and cook, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink (7 minutes). Drain fat, if necessary.
- Return insert to Instant Pot and add broth, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper. Lock lid and set to Pressure Cook on High for 14 minutes.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to quick release, then remove lid. Serve with desired toppings.