Winter weather can get pretty severe, sometimes causing power outages and making it difficult to leave your home. Being prepared can go a long way toward making such a situation a little more tolerable. Get these items ready now in case Mother Nature delivers her worst.
- A home emergency kit, which should include at a minimum a flashlight, a battery-operated radio, a first aid kit, several blankets and extra batteries.
- Candles and/or lanterns along with plenty of matches. Never leave a burning candle or a lit lantern unattended.
- Nonperishable food items such as canned goods (be sure to have a manual can opener), bagged snacks and protein bars. Also remember to keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to preserve those food items.
- Plenty of dry firewood if you have a wood stove or a fireplace.
If a storm causes your power to go out, there are several ways to report the outage to us:
- Outage texting – First, make sure your online account is up to date (or easily create an account at my.lge-ku.com). When you lose power, text OUTAGE to 4LGEKU (454358). We’ll respond with a text to confirm the outage. You can get updates by texting STATUS. And once power has been restored, we’ll send a text to confirm.
- Online – Report an outage via your online account.
- Phone – Just give us a call.
You can also visit our outage map at stormcenter.lge-ku.com for more details.
Finally, if any power lines are downed, STAY AWAY and call us immediately to report the situation.