For the next few months, cold will be the order of the day (and night) most of the time. Consider these tips to keep your home warm and comfortable, while managing your energy usage so your monthly utility bill remains reasonable.
- Caulking around doors and windows helps keep cold air out and warm air in. Add an additional layer of protection with weather stripping.
- How’s your insulation? Check to see if you might need more in the attic, exterior/basement walls and/or the crawl space.
- Turn your thermostat down two degrees to give your heating unit a break from constant running. Also consider installing a programmable thermostat.
- Check your furnace filter and, if needed, replace it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Open blinds and drapes during the day to let in the sun.