Electric safety indoors

Never

  • NEVER touch electrical appliances, light switches or anything using electricity if you have wet hands or are standing on a wet surface. Electricity travels through water, and you could be shocked or seriously injured.
  • NEVER stick metal objects in electric outlets. Again, you could be shocked or seriously injured.
  • NEVER overload an extension cord or plug one extension cord into another. Too many appliances or devices plugged into a single extension cord can cause overheating which can lead to fire. In fact, extension cords should only be used where and when necessary. They are not designed for permanent use.
  • NEVER yank an electrical cord from the wall. This can damage the plug and the outlet.
  • NEVER run an extension cord under carpets or rugs. This can cause them to overheat and catch fire. Avoid running them under furniture as this can damage the insulating cover.
  • NEVER retrieve an electrical device that falls into water. Use the circuit breaker to shut off the power to the device.
  • NEVER use electric appliances or devices during a storm. Unless it is an emergency, never use a corded or landline telephone.

Always

  • ALWAYS check electrical cords for worn spots or frayed wires. Replace any damaged cords. Do not attempt to repair them. Homemade repairs can cause fires.
  • ALWAYS cover all electrical outlets and wall switches with cover plates and replace any that are damaged.
  • ALWAYS keep flammable materials away from lamps and heaters. Place electric space heaters away from well-traveled areas to prevent others from tripping or falling over them.
  • ALWAYS install safety covers over unused outlets to prevent small children from playing with them.
  • ALWAYS make sure your home has ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) plugs, which prevent accidental electrocution by shutting off the circuit if a leak is detected. Arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) can help prevent fires by shutting off the circuit.