Gas appliances and connections

To prevent accidents

  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when installing and using appliances.
  • Have your appliances installed, serviced and repaired by professionals.
  • Keep the areas around your natural gas water heater and furnace clear of flammable liquids and combustible materials.

Pilot Lights

Many older natural gas appliances and most water heaters have a small, continuously burning gas flame — the pilot light — that ignites the main burner. Some newer models have electronic igniters.

If the pilot light goes out on one of your natural gas appliances, turn the gas off at the appliance’s gas shutoff valve. Always wait at least five minutes to let gas disperse before trying to relight an appliance pilot light.

If your pilot or burner flame is substantially higher than normal, this may be an indication of excessive pressure. You should call LG&E at 502-589-1444.

Follow the appliance manufacturer's instructions to re-light a pilot light. If your natural gas service is interrupted for any reason, LG&E will re-light the pilot lights on your natural gas appliances for you.

If you experience problems with your natural gas service or suspect a natural gas leak, leave your home or the area and call LG&E at 502-589-1444 from a safe distance away.

Gas Appliance Shutoff Valves

Most natural gas appliances have a gas shutoff valve located near the appliance that lets you turn off the natural gas to that appliance only. In some cases, turning off the gas at the appliance's shutoff valve will suffice if there is a slight odor, the pilot light is out or the appliance needs to be replaced or serviced. You should have a natural gas shutoff valve installed at each gas appliance so you can control the gas and turn it off to that appliance only, instead of shutting off all natural gas to your home at the main natural gas service shutoff valve.

To turn off the natural gas at the gas appliance shutoff value, rotate the valve a quarter turn.

Stoves (ranges and ovens)

  • When lighting the burners, light the match before you turn on the gas. If the flame goes out, turn off the burner and let the gas disperse before attempting to re-light.
  • Clean away any grease, oil or debris from the area to prevent a grease fire. In the event of a grease fire, NEVER add water. Use baking soda or, if the fire is in a pan, use a lid to smother the flame. 
  • Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in your kitchen.
  • Move any flammable objects such as towels and curtains away from the burners on your range.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home as this can be fatal.
  • Rinse and dry the burners before reinstalling them. Be careful not to damage or change the settings on air shutters or sleeves of the range burners.

Furnaces

  • Have your furnace serviced once a year.
  • Inspect your furnace filter regularly. Clean or replace it based on the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Air supply vents must be clear of obstructions. Furnaces need a constant supply of fresh air to run efficiently and safely. Do not store debris or any flammable liquids in the same area where your furnace is located.

Strong connections and safety with Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST)

If you haven't done so in a while, have a plumber or professional appliance repair service person check out the corrugated metal tubing that connects the natural gas supply pipes to your furnace, water heater, fireplace, stove, dryer or other gas appliances. If your tubing is the uncoated flexible variety, which was used prior to 1977, there could be an issue with how the tubing is connected to the end pieces. The pre-1977 tubing is prone to separating from the end pieces due to cracking, breaking and deterioration…and that could cause a gas leak.

The solution is to replace any uncoated brass end pieces, also referred to as connectors. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends either plastic-coated brass or stainless steel connectors. While it is the connectors and not the tubing at the root of the problem, our recommendation, in order to maximize safety, is to replace it all.

And with safety as the guiding factor, do NOT try to move an appliance to check the tubing or connectors. Let a professional perform the inspection and, if necessary, the replacement.