NEVER report a gas leak by email. Leave the area immediately then CALL LG&E and 911. To contact LG&E, call 502-589-1444 (outside Louisville call 800-331-7370) and press 1-1-1. Only make the call once you are in an area where is no gas odor.
Pure natural gas is colorless and odorless. We add a chemical – called mercaptan – to the natural gas to give it a distinct odor to help you detect a leak right away so you can take action.
Practice safety drills with your family. Everyone should know the safest and quickest way to leave the home – day or night – in the event of a natural gas emergency or fire.
Signs of a Natural Gas Leak
Use your senses to detect a natural gas leak. Please report any signs of a gas leak immediately. Your awareness and action can improve the safety of your home and community.
SmellWe add a distinctive, sulfur-like, rotten egg odor so you can detect even small amounts of natural gas. However, DO NOT rely only on your sense of smell to detect the presence of natural gas.
SoundPay attention to hissing, whistling or roaring sounds coming from underground or from a gas appliance.
SightBe aware of dirt spraying into the air, continual bubbling in a pond or creek and dead or dying vegetation in an otherwise moist area.
What to do if you suspect a natural gas leak
If you smell natural gas:
- Leave immediately. DO NOT use the phone, switch a light on or off, strike a match or spend time looking for the source.
- Go to a neighbor’s home or an area where there is no natural gas odor present.
- Call LG&E and 911. To reach LG&E, CALL 502-589-1444 (outside Louisville call 800-331-7370) to report a natural gas leak.
- ALWAYS report a natural gas leak by phone from an area where there is no odor present. DO NOT report a natural gas leak by email.
- You (or the property owner) are responsible for having the leak repaired. LG&E will turn off your natural gas service until you can contract with a licensed professional to have the leak repaired. Once LG&E inspects and confirms the leak has been repaired, the company will restore natural gas service and relight natural gas appliances all at no additional cost.
- If the leak is outside the home, LG&E will turn off the natural gas service and make the necessary repairs or replace the natural gas service line. Once the repairs are complete, LG&E will test the line, turn the service back on and relight natural gas appliances all at no additional cost.