No one wants to be the victim of a fire. And by heeding a few safety tips, you can reduce the chances of a fire occurring at your home or business.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, fires involving electricity were the second-leading cause of home fires in the United States in 2012–2016. Below are a few key rules to follow to help you avoid becoming part of that statistic.
- Check electrical cords for any damage and replace if necessary.
- Make sure you have arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs), which automatically shut off a circuit if a dangerous electrical arc is detected.
- Keep electric space heaters away from foot traffic so they won’t be knocked over.
- Don’t overload extension cords or plug one extension cord into another. Too many devices plugged into a single extension cord can cause overheating and a possible fire.
- Don’t run wires under a rug or carpet – again, that can cause overheating.
Visit lge-ku.com/safety/electric/indoors to learn more. And remember to make sure you have working smoke alarms.