When you subscribe to our Solar Share program, you’re helping grow solar energy in Kentucky. Nearly all of the available 2,000 shares within the first section are subscribed. What are you waiting for? Once we reach 100 percent subscription on the first section of the Solar Share facility, we'll begin construction and expect it to be operational in about six months.
By subscribing to Solar Share, you are sharing in the growth of local solar energy in your community. It’s another way to support renewable energy options in our region.
Avoid the costs and maintenance required for a private system.
This type of program is ideal for customers who want to support local solar energy, but are unable to install it on their own property or for whom a private system may be too costly. It’s especially appealing for renters, those with properties predominantly in the shade and those who have deed restrictions.
Subscribe to shares of solar on a first-come basis; includes subscription fee and a monthly fee per share of solar.
You can choose one or more shares based on your preference. Each subscription includes an initial, non-refundable subscription fee of $40, as well as a monthly fee of $6.24, per share of solar. Each 250-watt share of solar is currently estimated to produce between 18 and 38 kilowatt-hours of energy per month, depending on factors like weather conditions and time of year. A typical residential household uses approximately 1,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity each month.
The term, "shares," does not create or imply any ownership or investment interest.
Receive a credit on your monthly bill based on your subscription.
The Solar Energy Credit represents the monetary value of the solar energy that will be generated based on your subscription. This credit will vary each month based on the actual amount of solar energy generated by the facility. (More)
The site, along Interstate 64 in the KU service territory near LG&E, is large enough to accommodate a four-megawatt solar field. The Solar Share facility will be built in 500-kilowatt sections, and each section represents 2,000 shares. Construction will begin once each 500-kilowatt section is 100 percent subscribed.
Whether you’re in Louisville, Lexington, Maysville, Morganfield, Pineville or in between, residential, business and industrial customers across our LG&E and KU service territories have the opportunity to share in local solar energy and receive credits on their monthly bill.
Step 1 – Determine what subscription level is right for you using our Solar Share Calculator.
- Customers will be able to subscribe on a first-come basis to shares of solar in 250 watts, also referred to as quarter-kilowatt increments.
- You can choose one share or more than one, based on your preference.
- Each subscription includes an initial, non-refundable subscription fee of $40, as well as a monthly fee of $6.24, per share of solar.
- Each 250-watt share of solar is currently estimated to produce between 18 and 38 kilowatt-hours of energy per month, depending on factors like weather conditions and time of year. A typical residential household uses approximately 1,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity each month.
- We recommend reviewing your actual monthly electric usage to help decide what subscription level is best for you. Your monthly usage chart, found in your monthly electric bill or in your online account, will allow you to review your monthly electric usage over the last 13 months. If more energy is produced through a customer's subscription in a given month than the customer's consumption, the excess energy will be used to help power our community.
Step 2 – Enroll through our online form or by calling 800-356-5467.
Step 3 – Start supporting local solar!
Once we have 100 percent subscription, we'll begin construction which is expected to be completed in about six months. We will provide our subscribers with ongoing updates, so stay tuned to your inbox.