Relaxing by a cozy fire on a cold night is one of the pleasures of winter. To guarantee you get maximum enjoyment from your fireplace, it should be inspected yearly by a licensed chimney sweep. Following a few other tips will help keep you toasty and safe.
- DO NOT leave a fire unattended.
- DO NOT use flammable liquids to start a fire.
- DO NOT burn any type of trash or debris in the fireplace.
- Place logs at the rear of the fireplace on a solid supporting grate.
- Build small fires. They will burn completely and produce less smoke.
- Dense wood (e.g., oak) is best. It should be split and stored in a high and dry location for at least six months.
- Use glass doors or a mesh metal screen to keep embers from escaping.
- Keep the damper closed when the fireplace is not being used.
Also, keep a fire extinguisher within reach in case of an accident.